What Are the Different Types of Lymphoma in Young People?


Lymphoma is the most common form of cancer in teenagers and young adults. There are two main types of lymphoma that affect people between the ages of 15 and 24: Hodgkin’s lymphoma and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (and according to the Lymphoma Association, Hodgkin’s lymphoma is more than twice as common in this age group). These two forms can be split into further subcategories, and each one needs to be addressed differently.

MORE: What happens after your child is diagnosed with lymphoma.

Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
The majority of Hodgkin’s lymphoma cases (95 percent) are considered classical Hodgkin’s lymphoma. There are four different types of classical Hodgkin’s lymphoma and the treatment is the same for each one. The other 5 percent of cases are lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin’s lymphoma which is a slow-growing lymphoma and often requires less treatment.

Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
There are many different subtypes of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, which depend largely on whether the patient’s T-cells or B-cells are affected. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas are also categorized by how fast they grow — high-grade lymphomas are aggressive while low-grade lymphomas grow more slowly.

Most young people diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma tend to have a high-grade form, but these are usually easy to get into remission with less chance of recurrence than low-grade non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas.

These are the most common high-grade lymphomas in young people:

  • Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma: This is a high-grade T-cell lymphoma that can begin anywhere in the body in extranodal sites or through the lymph nodes.
  • Burkitt Lymphoma: This is a high-grade B-cell lymphoma than usually begins in the lymph nodes in the bowel or stomach.
  • Diffuse Large B-cell LymphomaThis is also a high-grade B-cell lymphoma which can develop in either extranodal sites or internal lymph nodes in the chest, stomach, or bones.
  • Lymphoblastic Lymphoma: This high-grade T-cell lymphoma usually causing swelling in the lymph nodes in the chest and around the heart. The B-cell form of this lymphoma is much rarer.

MORE:  Five videos from the Lymphoma Society for young people with the disease.

Lymphoma News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 3.5 / 5. Vote count: 2

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

One comment

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.